Former Howard government defence minister Peter Reith created a storm of protest when he quit politics and started work within a day or two for Tenix Defence (now BAE Systems Australia) as a consultant on government relations. Tenix Defence was Australia’s largest military industry corporation and a significant contractor to the department over which Reith had just had oversight.
Ministerial and cabinet positions
- Cabinet minister (11.3.96–26.11.01), including Minister for Defence (30.1.01–26.11.01)
Shadow ministerial positions
- Shadow minister (8.9.93–11.3.96), including shadow minister for Defence (17.1.94–25.9.94)
- Deputy leader of the opposition (3.4.90–23.3.93)
Political and public administrative positions
- Australian Executive Director, European Bank for Reconstruction and Development (London)(2003–2009)
- Federal MP for Flinders (VIC) Feb 1985–Nov 2001
- Federal MP for Flinders (VIC) 1982–1983
Source for all the above here, except where alternative links provided
Other industry positions
Sole trader lobbyist for:
- G4S Custodial Services Pty Ltd (Australian G4S subsidiary)(2014–Feb 2017)*
- Bechtel Infrastructure (Australia) Pty Ltd (2016–Feb 2017)*
* PDFs from South Australian lobbying register also accessed
Michelle has had a long career in writing and research, initially in the financial services sector producing plain language investor communications. For the last 10 years, she has been involved in research and campaigning for various organisations seeking to reduce warfare and militarism.
An abiding interest has been the prevention of corruption via increased transparency and accountability. She is currently researching the links between current and former politicians, public servants and military personnel, and weapons-making corporations.