EU won’t accept US tariff increase, ‘a deal is a deal’

February 23, 2026 03:41 | News

The European Commission has demanded the United States stick to the terms of an EU-US trade ‌deal reached last year, after the US Supreme Court struck down Donald Trump’s global tariffs ‌and he responded with new levies across the board.

The Commission, which negotiates trade policy ‌on behalf of the 27 EU member states, said Washington must provide “full clarity” on the steps it intends to take following the court ruling.

After the court struck down Trump’s global tariffs on Friday, the US president announced temporary, across-the-board tariffs of 10 per cent, which he then ‌hiked to 15 per cent ‌a ⁠day later.

US President Trump
As the US Supreme Court struck down President Trump’s global tariffs, he responded with new levies. (EPA PHOTO)

“The current situation is not conducive to delivering ‘fair, balanced, ​and mutually beneficial’ transatlantic trade and investment, as agreed to by both sides” in the joint statement setting out the terms of last year’s trade agreement, the Commission said. 

“A deal is a deal.”

The comments were far more strongly worded than the Commission’s initial response on ⁠Friday, which had said only that it was ‌studying ​the outcome of the Supreme Court decision and keeping in contact with the US ​administration.

Last year’s ‌trade deal set a 15 per cent US tariff rate for most EU goods, apart from ​those covered by other sectoral tariffs such as on steel. It also allowed zero tariffs on some products such as aircraft and spare parts. The ​EU ​agreed to remove import duties on ​many US goods and withdrew a threat ‌to retaliate with higher levies.

Europe US Tariffs
Unpredictable tariffs are disruptive and undermine confidence across ​global markets, the EU says. (AP PHOTO)

“In particular, EU products must continue to benefit from the most competitive treatment, with no increases in tariffs beyond the clear and all-inclusive ceiling previously agreed,” the EU executive said, adding that unpredictable tariffs were disruptive and undermined confidence across ​global markets.

It said that EU Trade Commissioner Maros Sefcovic had discussed the issue ​with US Trade Representative ⁠Jamieson Greer and Commerce Secretary Howard Lutnick on Saturday. 

None of the countries that had reached trade deals with the US had indicated plans to withdraw following the Supreme Court decision, Greer said on Sunday.

“I haven’t heard anyone yet come to me and say the deal is off,” Greer told CBS News.

“They want ‌to see how ‌this plays out.”

AAP News

Australian Associated Press is the beating heart of Australian news. AAP is Australia’s only independent national newswire and has been delivering accurate, reliable and fast news content to the media industry, government and corporate sector for 85 years. We keep Australia informed.

Latest stories from our writers

Don't pay so you can read it. Pay so everyone can!

Don't pay so you can read it.
Pay so everyone can!

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This