The “spruiker-in-chief” of defence industry has been involved with promoting military industry interests since the late 1980s when she co-founded the WA Defence Industry Council. Reynolds combined a career in the army reserves with political staffing roles for the Liberals, and a stint with industry giant Raytheon, before becoming a senator for WA in 2014. From 2 March 2019, she served as Minister for Defence Industry before being promoted to Defence Minister on 29 May 2019.
Federal ministerial and cabinet positions
- Cabinet minister (2.3.19–present), including Minister for Defence Industry (2.3.19–29.5.19) and Minister for Emergency Management and North Queensland Recovery (2.3.19–29.5.19)
- Assistant Minister for Home Affairs (28.8.18–2.3.19)
- Army Adjutant General (Brigadier) (2012–2013)
- Senior Training and Development Officer, Australian Command and Staff College (1999–2000)
- Australian Army Reserve (1984–2012)
Political and public administrative positions
- Director, Army Strategic Reform Program (2009–2010)
- Project Director, Army-based Accountability Model Implementation Project (2008–2009)
- Deputy Federal Director and National Training Director, Liberal Party (2006–2008)
- Project Director/Strategic Performance and training Analyst, Canberra Deep Space Communications Complex (NASA/JPL facility) (2004)
- Chief of Staff and Senior Policy Adviser to Chris Ellison, Minister for Justice and Customs (2001–2003)
- Liberal Party Senior Government Training Manager and Senior Campaign Officer (1996–1998)
- Electoral Officer and Shadow Ministerial Adviser for Federal Liberal parliamentarians Fred Chaney and Judi Moylan (1990–1994)
Source for all the above here, except where (or in addition to) alternative links provided
Director, Strategy Development, Raytheon Australia (2005)
Co-founder, WA Defence Industry Council (late 1980s)
Michelle has had a long career in writing and research, initially in the financial services sector producing plain language investor communications. For the last 10 years, she has been involved in research and campaigning for various organisations seeking to reduce warfare and militarism.
An abiding interest has been the prevention of corruption via increased transparency and accountability. She is currently researching the links between current and former politicians, public servants and military personnel, and weapons-making corporations.